Adsense leaderboard

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pretty Pink Blossoms



I was up early this morning around 8:30.  Yes, I know that this is not what most people consider early, but since I wake up at 5:30 every school morning during the year to make my hour commute to work, sleeping till 8:30 feels like heaven during the summer!

Anyway, I noticed that my Oleander shrubs are in full bloom and doing nicely too, despite the hot summer heat.  The high today is predicted to be 97 degrees and tomorrow it will 98 degrees.  

That's probably the reason my vegetables and other plants are not doing so well this summer, but the Oleanders don't mind the heat.  They survive the heat and lack of water well and even like most of our winters here too.  You can find these wonderful, colorful shrubs all over Texas and surrounding southern states.

Oleander shrubs make wonderful barriers which is why you will see them on the highways planted as screens in the medians.  When we moved to Texas the yard in our new place needed some separation from the next door neighbor.  We were told that it was against the rules to put up a fence.

The answer was Oleander plants.  They have grown up nicely and make a great border between our house and the neighbor.  They offer privacy and are just beautiful.

Just remember that they are poisonous to some animals like dogs, and even to humans too.  If you have young children, you do not want them to put the leaves in their mouths.  As for me, I always make sure to wash up good after I prune them.

If you live in warm weather and want a splash of color in your yard from summer through late fall, then this is the plant for you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment